Answers to your Frequently Asked questions

Grant-making FAQs

What kind of things do you fund?
  • Capital spend projects e.g. refurbishments, renovations, substantial items of non-medical equipment 
  • Medical equipment
  • Patient & family experience e.g. small capital items (electronic games), entertainment, artworks
  • Staff development and welfare e.g. professional development training, wellbeing programmes
  • Research.
Who can apply for a grant?

Employees of the Trust can apply for a grant. Employees of St Georges, University of London can apply for funding for research projects in collaboration with the Trust. 

How do I apply for a grant?

Please go to our Apply for a grant page for details on the different fund types and their respective application forms and processes. 

Please note you can only apply for a grant if you work for the Trust. 

I've applied for a grant - what next?

Please follow this link for information on when you can expect to hear from us and what you need to do next. 

How can I get reimbursed for an out-of-pocket expense?

If your expenditure was endorsed by a Fund Adviser, you can access our online expense claim system to get reimbursed. You will need to submit your invoice so make sure you have it to hand.

General SPF FAQs

What is a Special Purpose Fund?

Special Purpose Funds (SPFs) are pots of money restricted to be spent in line with set objectives and donor's wishes. We have a wide range of SPFs, most areas in the Trust are covered. The majority of funding for all ideas and projects will come from SPFs. These should be the first port of call for applicants.

How can I find an SPF?

We have a searchable database of SPFs across the Trust.

Who can apply for funding from an SPF?

If you work for the Trust, you are eligible to apply for funding from an SPF.

For Research SPFs, St George's University of London staff work collaboratively with the Trust and can therefore apply for funding for research projects. 

Members of the public are not eligible to apply.

I work for the Trust, how can I apply for funding from an SPF?

You will need to contact one of the SPF’s Fund Advisers to receive endorsement for your idea or project. If you don’t know who the Fund Advisers are, please get in touch with us at and we can help you. Once you have received endorsement, you will need to fill out an application form which you can find and download here, along with more details about the application process. 

Who manages SPFs?

SPFs are held by the Charity but are managed by Fund Advisers who work for the Trust in the area of the hospital or service which the SPF serves. Fund Advisers are responsible for endorsing funding requests in line with the fund’s objectives and for ensuring that the SPF meets the minimum donation and expenditure requirements. The Charity has the final say on approval for all funding requests. 

If you would like to know who the Fund Advisers are for a specific SPF, please get in touch with us at and we can help you.

What can I do if there isn't enough money in the SPF to fund my project?

There is alternative funding available. Please contact us at and we will do our best to help you find a way to fund your project. 

How can I donate to an SPF?

We are very grateful for any donations received, as they all help to improve staff well-being and the experience that patients and their families have when visiting our hospitals. Please follow this link to make a donation.

Fund AdvisEr FAQs

Are there any resources to help me as a Fund Adviser?

We have created a Fund Adviser Handbook to help explain the role and responsibilities of being a Fund Adviser, and how everything related to your SPFs works. You can download this here.

How can someone donate into my SPF?

If a patient, relative or someone you know would like to donate directly into your SPF, the best thing to do is put them in touch directly with our helpful Fundraising Team who can let them know the best way to make the donation and support them as they do.

You can reach the fundraising team directly on 0208 725 45222 or email them on alternatively, the team would be happy to come to your department and meet the patient, copy us in on email, or direct them to our Fundraising office on the Ground Floor on Grosvenor Wing.

What kind of expenditure is permissible?

All expenditure must be reasonable, justifiable, and must be aligned to the objectives and purpose of the SPF. 

How can I add or remove a Fund Adviser from my SPF?

Please download the SPF amendment form, complete it and email it to us at

How can I fundraise for my SPF?

There are so many ways you can get involved and fundraise for your SPF. From taking part in an event, to hosting a bake sale or if you simply want to put up some posters around your department with a QR code to donate- our fundraising team are here to support you every step of the way! Get in touch with the team today by emailing, calling directly on 0208 725 4522 or pop down to our Fundraising Office on the Ground Floor of Grosvenor Wing.



Why are there SPF admin charges?

We apportion part of our running costs against each fund. Running costs include staffing, office rental, insurance and compliance (audit and legal). 

MRI machine.jpg

Looking for funding?

No idea is too big or small. If it could improve the lives of our patients, their families or our staff, we'd love to hear about it. 

How to apply