Every 2 minutes, someone in the UK is diagnosed with Cancer
St George’s Cancer Services provide high quality, patient centred diagnostics, care and treatments to our local community as well as to some regional and national patients.
Uniquely placed in South West London as a Cancer Centre, our teams treat around 4,000 new patients every year, with a range of conditions. As well as treatment, the hospital is actively involved in Cancer Research, embedding it, where possible, within clinical services, to improve patient outcomes and experiences.
St George’s also provides the majority of South West London’s complex cancer surgery making the hospital the south west London hub for a number of complex surgeries and services.
HOW YOUR SUPPORT WILL MAKE A DIFFERENCE
With your help, we aim to support the whole cancer team as they care for patients - whether they are in the hospital for just an hour or two, or for several weeks at a time.
Your support helps us to find research, medical equipment, ongoing training, patient support groups, wellbeing projects and so much more.
As cancer is such a large field, we gratefully receive donations that will be directed by the cancer teams towards the greatest needs at that time. Sometimes, we’ll be able to quickly deliver a project that makes an immediate difference; and sometimes we need to collect a number of donations together to deliver bigger projects that might cost more.
In the past, your generous support has funded:
- Medical equipment – such as ultra sound machines to help place intravenous cannulas to make a procedure less painful and Scalp Cooling Systems to help chemotherapy patients keep thier hair.
- Ongoing training for our professional team to ensure they are always able to offer the most up to date treatments.
- Patient support groups – helping patients to connect to each other, share their stories and promote a positive atmosphere.
- Furniture – such as reclining chairs for the rooms and comfortable chairs for the day unit so that patients can receive treatment in comfort.
- Research into the causes, prevention and management of specific cancers
- Chemotherapy Comfort Kits in partnership with the St George's Macmillan Cancer Team- handed out to patients at their first visit, these kits go some way to helping alleviate the initial pressure and worry that patients may face when undergoing treatment.
- and so much more....